Debian Releases a new Stable Distribution: Sarge

Posted by Steve on Mon 6 Jun 2005 at 05:12

The new Debian stable release, codenamed Sarge, has officially been released today.

Several years of development since the last stable release, Woody, was released on the 9th of July, 2002 over a thousand developers around the world have helped make this release possible.

As this release has been in the making for such a long time there are many major software upgrades included in this release - as well as a large number of new packages. The combination of the two should make backports a thing of the past for at least the next few months.

Highlights of the release include the following, and more can be read within the Sarge Release Announcement :

• K Desktop Environment 3.3 (KDE)
  • The GNOME desktop environment 2.8
  • XFree86 4.3.0
  • Mozilla 1.7.8
  • Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.2
  • Firefox 1.0.4
  • PostgreSQL 7.4.7
  • MySQL 4.0.24 and 4.1.11a
  • GNU Compiler Collection 3.3.5 (GCC)
  • Linux kernels version 2.4.27 and 2.6.8
  • Apache 1.3.33 and 2.0.54

If you are aiming to upgrade your system you should make sure you read the Debian Sarge Release Notes - these contain important instructions regarding the upgrade from Woody.

If you do not wish to have your system upgraded you should make sure that you change your sources.list file in /etc/apt - rather than reading:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian     stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
...
...

You should change each occurance of "stable" to "woody". If you do not do this you will find your system upgraded to Sarge the next time you run "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade".

Once you've upgraded your system to Sarge you can start to take advantage of many of the newer pieces of software available. For example:

If you're feeling cautious it might be worthwhile postponing the upgrade for a few days to track newly reported bugs.

Whilst every effort has been made to test upgrading to the release by a large number of users there may still be corner-cases out there which could cause you problems. Reading the available upgrade-reports might be prudent if you suspect your setup, or hardware, might cause problems.

Posted by Anonymous (82.67.xx.xx) on Mon 6 Jun 2005 at 21:24
great news and congratulations to all debian programmers !

Posted by simms (69.157.xx.xx) on Mon 6 Jun 2005 at 22:01
this is awesome news even if most of us here have been running sarge for months :)
go debian!

Posted by Anonymous (62.254.xx.xx) on Mon 6 Jun 2005 at 22:12
excellent, great work all round sno

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Mon 6 Jun 2005 at 22:16

OK it looks like /. linked here - I wonder if the site will hold up ..?

I've setup other sites in the past which specifically needed to take a good slashdotting, but for this one I didn't do anything specific to counter it - apart from install mod-dosevasive.

I wonder if now is a good time to offer my services for remote administration, or setup? I code in perl, c, c++, know Apache intimately and am experienced in all the things you'd expect a systems administrator to know - with a good background of Debian specific knowlege too...

Posted by chris (217.8.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 07:19
$ apt-cache search dosevasive
$

Shame :( But a good tip - I'll certainly be looking into it.

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 07:28

It will be part of Debian's unstable branch shortly I believe - there's been an ITP filed.

In the meantime you can build it from source in an identical fashion to the mod-security module with apxs fairly easily.

Posted by gustapfo (62.88.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 06:54
Great, now i just have to download it to see what new features you offer ;=

should be exciting.

Posted by Anonymous (84.252.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 07:01
can you believe it? ... the day actually came ... now all kidding aside I guess soon I will be able to get xorg from the debian tree ... oh and and maybe gnome 2.10 with some fixes and the long awaited menu editor ...

Anyway, great job debian team! Keep up the good work and maybe the next release won't take 2 years ;)

Posted by Anonymous (217.173.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 09:05
It's three years (July 9th, 2002 - June 6th, 2005). :-) BTW: I didn't bother to wait. Woody is (was) great as server OS and for learning GNU/Linux. Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous (172.203.xx.xx) on Fri 24 Jun 2005 at 15:08
I cut my teeth on Debian Woody, and I found it a great way to learn the commands needed to run a good system under Linux. I am soooo looking forward to trying out Sarge. Keep up the excelent work people. Thank you.

Posted by Anonymous (195.212.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 11:24
Congratulations to everyone involved. I'll buy an official cd on next payday, as encouragement! Now, if we could just have a maintenance release before december...

Posted by ido50 (85.64.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 11:52
Wait a sec here... If I already used testing (sarge) by now, do i still count as using "testing", which is now codenamed "etch"?

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 11:57

Testing was previously the Sarge pre-release, not Sarge itself. Testing will now be the Etch pre-release / staging area.

If you stay with testing you'll soon diverge away from Sarge, although nothing drastic is likely to happen immediately...

Posted by ido50 (85.64.xx.xx) on Tue 7 Jun 2005 at 12:03
Understood. Thanks.

Posted by ronnie (202.154.xx.xx) on Wed 8 Jun 2005 at 06:48
at last. "sargeing" all server :p

Posted by Anonymous (62.253.xx.xx) on Wed 8 Jun 2005 at 15:45
I noticed something recently which did not seem to be there before. You can use the name of the release instead of stable and unstable. This seems preferable, as there is no ambiguity around release time. So I have:
# SARGE
deb http://the.earth.li/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free

# SID
deb http://the.earth.li/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

Posted by Anton (66.156.xx.xx) on Thu 9 Jun 2005 at 06:26
I made this change (from testing to sarge) several days before the release (somewhat coincidental) so as to not inadvertently upgrade from sarge to the new testing, etch. I was not aware it's something new.

I agree that it's advisable to do it this way, so that one can decide when exactly to upgrade from one release to the next, if at all.

The more I learn about Debian, the more it impresses me how things are so well thought out.

Anton

Posted by angrykeyboarder (68.228.xx.xx) on Fri 10 Jun 2005 at 03:41
3 years to produce a distro that does not include the latest versions of GNOME or KDE.

Hummmm...

Ubuntu and Fedora are able to do that do that in 6 months....

Posted by Anonymous (83.217.xx.xx) on Fri 10 Jun 2005 at 11:19
More importantly than KDE eye candy is that the current version of perl isn't included.
But the distribution is about stability not a mass of barely working new features.

Posted by Anonymous (205.250.xx.xx) on Sat 11 Jun 2005 at 01:40
Don't forget that Debian is one of the few distros, if not the only distro, to support so many hardware platforms/architectures.
Also Debian is a highly stable distribution because it fixes many problems before releases instead of fixing them after the release.

Posted by Anonymous (63.202.xx.xx) on Tue 14 Jun 2005 at 05:19
Hi. I've been running Unstable for awhile and I believe I did an update of all pgks about a week or so b4 sarge was released.

Is it advisable to downgrade from unstable to sarge?

tks.

seth

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Wed 15 Jun 2005 at 06:02

Package downgrades are not really supported by dpkg, so I'd hesitate in suggesting its' a good thing to do.

Posted by Anonymous (63.202.xx.xx) on Wed 15 Jun 2005 at 16:03
Tks for the reply.

Hmm I guess I'm stuck with unstable. Unless I backup my data and reinstall stable.

Great resource for debian community! It's about time, there was a resource in a non-militant form! :)

I'd like to get around to posting my tips on here..

again excellent friendly resource.