Making scripts run at boot time with Debian

Posted by Steve on Mon 11 Oct 2004 at 13:01

Debian uses a Sys-V like init system for executing commands when the system runlevel changes - for example at bootup and shutdown time.

If you wish to add a new service to start when the machine boots you should add the necessary script to the directory /etc/init.d/. Many of the scripts already present in that directory will give you an example of the kind of things that you can do.

Here's a very simple script which is divided into two parts, code which always runs, and code which runs when called with "start" or "stop".

#! /bin/sh
# /etc/init.d/blah
#

# Some things that run always
touch /var/lock/blah

# Carry out specific functions when asked to by the system
case "$1" in
  start)
    echo "Starting script blah "
    echo "Could do more here"
    ;;
  stop)
    echo "Stopping script blah"
    echo "Could do more here"
    ;;
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/blah {start|stop}"
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

exit 0

Once you've saved your file into the correct location make sure that it's executable by running "chmod 755 /etc/init.d/blah".

Then you need to add the appropriate symbolic links to cause the script to be executed when the system goes down, or comes up.

The simplest way of doing this is to use the Debian-specific command update-rc.d:

root@skx:~# update-rc.d blah defaults
 Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/blah ...
   /etc/rc0.d/K20blah -> ../init.d/blah
   /etc/rc1.d/K20blah -> ../init.d/blah
   /etc/rc6.d/K20blah -> ../init.d/blah
   /etc/rc2.d/S20blah -> ../init.d/blah
   /etc/rc3.d/S20blah -> ../init.d/blah
   /etc/rc4.d/S20blah -> ../init.d/blah
   /etc/rc5.d/S20blah -> ../init.d/blah

If you wish to remove the script from the startup sequence in the future run:

root@skx:/etc/rc2.d# update-rc.d -f  blah remove
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/blah exists during rc.d purge (continuing)
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/blah ...
   /etc/rc0.d/K20blah
   /etc/rc1.d/K20blah
   /etc/rc2.d/S20blah
   /etc/rc3.d/S20blah
   /etc/rc4.d/S20blah
   /etc/rc5.d/S20blah
   /etc/rc6.d/K20blah

This will leave the script itself in place, just remove the links which cause it to be executed.

You can find more details of this command by running "man update-rc.d".

Posted by yaarg (127.0.xx.xx) on Fri 15 Oct 2004 at 07:58

I do wish Debian would do away with the System V run level scheme, it's all a bit confusing. As I understand it some of the run levels aren't even used?! Gentoo has done away with it already, using "reboot", "nonetwork" etc. instead, it's a bit more intuitive.. as it happens the rc-update tool is much better too...

Posted by Anonymous (127.0.xx.xx) on Tue 2 Nov 2004 at 06:55

I could not agree more. I have no idea how exactly are those run-levels interpreted by the system.

Posted by Anonymous (81.89.xx.xx) on Sat 10 Sep 2005 at 10:07
read the /etc/inittab for more info

Posted by Anonymous (203.91.xx.xx) on Thu 17 Nov 2005 at 05:42
my script created is not displaying messaegs on console that means the cho command is not dispalying any messges on console.
i am working on solaris 10 x86 .so could u help me in this.

Posted by Anonymous (213.158.xx.xx) on Mon 30 Oct 2006 at 14:03
Yeah, like you, I can only agree.. That something is "complex" and "inaccessible" does not mean it's good (very often the opposite).
Too bad many other linux-solutions and independent projects in general suffer from the same syndrome... ;/

Posted by Anonymous (64.41.xx.xx) on Thu 7 May 2009 at 08:38
I'd like to see a less complex scheme too and I'm curious about the stuff you mentioned. In the non-runlevel scheme you mention, how do you get the system into a state where you can run e2fsck, ...

Also, I switch between a dual and single display config for X. How would I do that in your scheme?

Thanks.

Posted by GecKo (222.154.xx.xx) on Thu 23 Feb 2006 at 04:47
Is it possible to have what ever script is running run from a different user? Or should I incorporate that into the startup script with su?

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Thu 23 Feb 2006 at 09:35

It is best to use su as you suggested.

Posted by Anonymous (201.147.xx.xx) on Fri 6 Oct 2006 at 01:30
Is there any easy way?

Posted by Anonymous (203.129.xx.xx) on Tue 21 Nov 2006 at 04:49
you're all so damn ignorant and quick to give up. Learn some skills, init.d and rc levels are so easy, i know a 7 year old with complete mastery of them... get better simpletons?

Posted by Anonymous (72.166.xx.xx) on Sun 8 Apr 2007 at 23:34
Yeah, why whine about it? If another Distro trips your trigger, by all means go for it. As #10 points out in this thread, there is another way to do it, too.

Typical Linux, multiple ways to obtain the same result. I admit Debian is a bit less than intuitive at times but that is how they keep the riff raff out. ;=>

Cheers.

T

Posted by Anonymous (199.46.xx.xx) on Wed 20 May 2009 at 12:42
I hope you don't support getting Linux onto every computer because your comment speaks in the other direction. The more intuitive the OS the more adoption there will be and a greater interest in supporting it. Everyone benefits from simplifying. No one really benefits from complexity.

Posted by Anonymous (216.195.xx.xx) on Sat 6 Jun 2009 at 05:54
As so many people have pointed out - widespread adoption isn't really the point of linux. We build a system we personally like. Different people build systems *they* like. Find a distro or an OS that works for you, or learn the one that works for us.

Posted by Anonymous (75.149.xx.xx) on Wed 27 Jul 2011 at 20:12
I absolutely love it. It rings true to the stability and efficiency of GNU/Linux. If you want user-friendly Linux above rock-solid Linux, you can always use Ubuntu! But beware, it is, IMHO, a flash in the pan of Debian.

Posted by Anonymous (220.245.xx.xx) on Tue 26 Dec 2006 at 05:42
I think it would be better to make one init.d script that just executes a custom script. Gentoo has this, it has an init.d script called local, which just runs everything in /etc/conf.d/local.start and local.stop

If you don't like the old Debian init scripts you could try installing initng, also should improve boot times quite a lot although its mostly used by Gentooers but there seems to be Debian builds (At least some old ones in experimental).

http://www.initng.org/ - Seems down currently

Posted by Anonymous (203.144.xx.xx) on Sun 27 May 2007 at 03:50
/etc/rc.local is in etch.

Posted by Anonymous (64.81.xx.xx) on Fri 30 Mar 2007 at 23:07
man 5 crontab
specifically look at @reboot
that is easy and will "make scripts run at boot time" only.

Posted by Anonymous (209.234.xx.xx) on Mon 12 May 2008 at 22:00
Thanks for the idea..didn't even think of that route :)

and if Gentoo is so GREATE, then why are you even here!?

Posted by Anonymous (66.185.xx.xx) on Sat 25 Oct 2008 at 15:19
Obviously not to chat with people who can't spell "great".

Posted by Anonymous (62.80.xx.xx) on Tue 1 Jan 2008 at 20:35
Not working for me :(

Posted by Anonymous (125.25.xx.xx) on Mon 25 Aug 2008 at 18:44
I want to auto start apache on OpenSolaris10.
Help me please!!!

Posted by Anonymous (69.9.xx.xx) on Wed 3 Sep 2008 at 19:13
If you are going to spend time learning to administer an OS, OpenSLOWaris is probably a bad pick.

Posted by Anonymous (80.220.xx.xx) on Thu 18 Sep 2008 at 22:09
The example script is a bit too simple, it doesn't conform to the Debian Policy. See http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-sysvini t for how to write correct init.d scripts.

Posted by Anonymous (74.197.xx.xx) on Tue 13 Jan 2009 at 13:47
if you are looking for a gui tool, look at bum (BootUp-Manager) in the repositories. There is a checkbox to display advanced options like priorities and such.

Posted by Anonymous (59.162.xx.xx) on Wed 25 Feb 2009 at 12:51

echo “Starting script blah �
;;
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

this is my script in which i am trying to copy the file candle1.C from an ftp server at the time of starting the system so i had put this file in /etc/init.d/blah .but it is not working , instead of these ftp commands if am using mkdir d something like command it is working means this script is working but for using an ftp what i have to do , or it is possible to start an ftp connection at the time of init process.plz help me.

Posted by Anonymous (66.29.xx.xx) on Sun 29 Nov 2009 at 05:16
There are a lot of misconceptions voiced here about the sysvinit system. It is complex because it HAS to be. To quote Eistein, "Make things as simple as possible, and no simpler."

Sysvinit is the best way known to manage all the complexity involved in making any combination of the 10,000+ Debian packages load the various daemons they need, in the order they need, only to the extent they are installed, and have them all work smoothly together. The older BSD init system was simpler, but less capable-- the init scripts had to be edited for every package you added that needed to start at boot time, and the order was always a potential source of a problem. That is why most Linux distributions use sysvinit-- it has proven its value over many years.

Each package that needs to load at a certain runlevel puts one script in /etc/init.d, usually named with the package name. This allows you to start, stop, restart, reload, etc. it by typing "/etc/init.d/mypackage start" (or stop or reload or whatever). If you write a script, use others as a template, and change what you need to change. Test the script by typing these commands manually (probably at a root shell). If the script works properly here, it should work in runlevels. However, to answer the last plea for help, this script does NOT start anything automatically at ANY runlevel. We still need one more thing for that.

To do that, we create symlinks to these scripts in the various runlevel directories. For example, if we normally run at runlevel 2 (as Debian does by default) and we want mypackage to run as start, then create two links in /etc/rc2.d, one named S99mypackage and one named K99mypackage. S means Start, and K means Kill (stop) the process. When the system goes into runlevel 2, all the start links in /etc/rc2.d will be run one after another. The 99 tells the system WHEN it should be run-- they run in numerical order from 01-99 (and in alpha order within those numeric levels, I think). So 99 will be run last, and everything should basically already be up by then, usually a good choice for your personal stuff. But if you want it run before thing1 and after thing2, then pick a more appropriate number. If you want it started first and stopped last, then name the links S01mypackage and K99mypackage. You can also disable the link temporarily by renaming the uppercase S or K to lowercase-- only the uppercase letters will be run.

As to "why so many runlevels, if Debian only uses two?"-- you can use them any way you want. Runlevel S (or 1) is single-user maintenance mode (which may not even mount your disks). Runlevel 2 (in Debian) is multi-user. Some distributions once used runlevel 3 for networking, or 5 for X windows. Now both (networking and X) seem to be nearly universal, and are not usually put on separate runlevels. But if you want to do that, you can. It's your system, do what you want. Maybe you have a system needs to be configured differently at home and work, or when the kids are using it. You can set runlevels for these different modes.

If you want the simpler "just run this at boot time" of BSD, just add your script to the /etc/rc.local script which runs after the rest of the boot process is complete. So you CAN have it both ways.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion. I'd say RTFM, but sometimes the manuals are long on detail and short on 30,000 foot-level explanation of the concepts.

Posted by Anonymous (64.129.xx.xx) on Fri 15 Jan 2010 at 17:11
Bravo. Thank you very much for the 30k view. I've been over the manpages for it about 6 times now, and I find it always leaves an uneasy feeling.

-- Specifically, around what happens when a particular package is upgraded, but I guess if I'm not packaging my scripts into a .deb file, I really don't need to worry about that. ( I think I got confused when I was trying to do things like disable proftpd for an indeterminate amount of time. ) apt-get update will automatically update proftpd ( and from what I understood, possibly re-activate the sysvinit links. )

Anyway, I like your quick view above so much that I'm going to save it in a file on my servers. I'd credit you, but it was posted anonymously. I'll credit the URL instead. Thanks again.

Regarding the attitude that the point of Linux isn't adoption, I find that short-sighted. Perhaps I'm just an optimist, but I really think that the best thing for all Linux users is more Linux usage. If for no other reason, hardware support. We Linux users don't have a lot of economic influence on hardware manufacturer's -- there's not a lot of incentive to even passively check and see if Linux can work. That's not going to change until the hardware vendors start hurting from lack of sales because they won't support Linux. And that's not going to happen until there are enough people running Linux to care...

Posted by Anonymous (60.49.xx.xx) on Fri 17 Sep 2010 at 20:11
hi there..can i ask here?i'm trying to disable bluetooth autostart on my linuxmint 9 lxde box..not to completely disable/remove it,just to make it not run upon boot and i can just reenable it whenever i want..its so annoying to see that my bluetooth always turn on upon boot while i rarely use it..
so here the script of /etc/init.d/bluetooth
what to change here?

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: bluetooth
# Required-Start: $local_fs $syslog $remote_fs dbus
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $syslog $remote_fs
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start bluetoothd
### END INIT INFO

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

set -e

case "$1" in
start)
#currently this init script exists only because of what appears to be
#an egg and chicken problem
# bluetoothd normally starts up by udev rules. it needs dbus to function,
# but dbus doesn't start up until after udev finishes triggering
#
if [ ! -f /sbin/udevadm.upgrade ]; then
udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=bluetooth
fi
;;
stop)
pkill -TERM bluetoothd || true
;;
restart|force-reload)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
status)
status_of_proc "bluetoothd" "bluetooth" && exit 0 || exit $?
;;
N=/etc/init.d/bluetooth
# echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status}" >&2
echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload|status}" >&2
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

Posted by Anonymous (128.219.xx.xx) on Tue 14 Dec 2010 at 15:58
I usually just stick an "exit 0" as the first executable line in the script when I want to disable it. The only problem comes in upgrades, because the upgrade will now ask you if you want to change a changed script. Gets a little messy at times.

Posted by Anonymous (163.139.xx.xx) on Tue 29 Mar 2011 at 14:25
Instead of using the program "update-rc.d" I prefer using "sysv-rc-conf", which is more noob friendly I guess^^. You can add/remove any script in the /etc/init.d/ directory and start/stop services right from there with one button too.
Nice guide, I didn't know it was so easy.

Posted by Anonymous (41.89.xx.xx) on Fri 3 Jun 2011 at 07:24
please help

Posted by Anonymous (190.38.xx.xx) on Thu 16 Jun 2011 at 03:01
Awesome, it help me big time!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Augusto Molina

Posted by Anonymous (79.230.xx.xx) on Thu 6 Oct 2011 at 16:42
Is there a way to add a script only for one user that runs after TWM for example ist started?

Posted by Anonymous (88.185.xx.xx) on Thu 20 Oct 2011 at 10:22
Thanks. Very clear, short and efficient. I bookmark it!!

Posted by Anonymous (177.98.xx.xx) on Sat 7 Jan 2012 at 00:27
Hello Everybody,

I am using an open-source software that I worked on at my company,
but it has an script to run on boot time for redhat, and now that it's
open I am doing it for Debian too.

I wrote a script to run on debian following this tutorial, but the software
needs root access to output the right things ...

the question is: WHAT IF MY PROGRAM NEEDS TO RUN AS ROOT?

Posted by Steve (90.220.xx.xx) on Sat 7 Jan 2012 at 00:29

Scripts placed in the fashion described here are started as root. No special things need to be done to change that..

Posted by Anonymous (177.98.xx.xx) on Sat 7 Jan 2012 at 01:11
Steve,

I expected that too, but, looking at the log I got this output

[Fri Jan 6 22:09:12 2012] [debug] LDC running without super-user permission.

So, it isn't running is not root.

Any ideas?

Posted by Steve (90.220.xx.xx) on Sat 7 Jan 2012 at 01:14

I wonder if that actually refers to something else - CAPABILITIES - rather than "running as root"?

Once you've started the script run "ps -ef" and I'm certain you'll see it launched by root at start time - or if you become root and run "/etc/init.d/blah start". (Obviously if you run it as yourself, in a non-root account, it won't start as root.)

Posted by Anonymous (94.19.xx.xx) on Sat 7 Jan 2012 at 22:08
One more example:
place it to /etc/init/somename

and then service somename start

description "uWSGI server for some_django_site"

start on runlevel [2345] #comment out it to disable autostart
stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn

exec /server/env/bin/uwsgi -p 2 --home /server/env/ --socket /server/sock/some_django_site.uwsgi.sock --chmod-socket --module runsite --pythonpath /home/some_django_site --daemonize /server/log/some_django_site.uwsgi.log

# home - is the path to our virtualenv directory
# module - is the file name of our wsgi configuration
# pythonpath is the path to our django application
# socket specifies the UNIX socket file to use.
# --enable-threads

Posted by Anonymous (94.19.xx.xx) on Sat 7 Jan 2012 at 22:10
somename.conf*

Posted by binh (115.78.xx.xx) on Fri 20 Apr 2012 at 10:10
Hi, i'm setting up ftp server for http://ensale.com and I am following this tutorial to make automount script to mount ftp folders.

Here is what i got:
update-rc.d automount defaults
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: script 'K01automount' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'automount' missing LSB tags and overrides

So I found out you got to add LSB tags to the top of the script, and here it is:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: automount
# Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start daemon at boot time
# Description: Enable service provided by daemon.
### END INIT INFO

Hopefully you will add this info to the tutorial so that people don't get things messed up. Thank you.

Posted by Anonymous (213.114.xx.xx) on Wed 25 Apr 2012 at 23:17
Thank you for sharing this with the LSB tags!

Helped me totally!

Posted by Anonymous (187.67.xx.xx) on Thu 31 Jan 2013 at 14:15
Thank you for sharing LSB tags too!