Weblogs for Steve
Due to a calamity I had to revert the database behind this site a couple of days. Comments and blogs will be lost for this period.
Not pleased about this at all, but I guess it's a first for the site.
That was a pleasant diversion from taking pictures of pubs - which is my new project.
This weekend I've upgraded the cluster behind this site to be 100% wheezy-based.
No major suprises, fingers crossed nothing breaks ..
I spent a few nights last week prototyping the kind of forum I'd like to use for supporting my Lumail email client.
The end result was something that was fast, clean, and reasonably well-coded. The only aspect where it falls down is in the looks-department.
I'm still in two minds about whether I need a forum to support the application, so for the moment it is just deployed on a random spare domain:
It can be described as a cross between hacker-news and reddit. (Though the example disables arbitrary tagging, which means the reddit-inspiration is less obvious.)
My lua-based email client lumail continues to go well.
These days I'm using it exclusively for my personal mail, and barring a few rough edges it is suitable for everyday use.
We've had a self-signed SSL certificate for some time now (four years?) but it was self-signed and thus untrusted by most browsers.
Thanks to a kind donation by dkg we now have a "real" SSL certificate, valid for the next five years.
Installation was carried out in a rush, but I'll do it properly shortly. Any problems shout at me.
Thanks again, Daniel.
Update: I've also fixed the site to use a canonical host name, with the www. prefix now being used globally.
Yeah, I could hardly believe it either.
It is modal, it uses Lua for scripting/configuration. It is not yet complete, due to missing features. But as a read-only mail-viewer it works perfectly.
When I see a number of fake users, or spam comments, from a particular IP address I usually just block it.
As of today I'm now going to block the containing /24 instead.
Life is too short to play whack-a-mole with closely-related IPs.
The big link, "Search", at the top of the site pages now works.
Quick hack via Lucy::Simple.
The Lucy::Simple module made it trivial to write a simple indexer and search script. Took me only an hour or so, and I've been in bed most of the day!
I may well document the process in the future if there is any interest.
Years ago I had a linkedin account. It was not so useful to me, because I could remember who I'd worked with, and I would ask for personal recommendations/feedback from friends who were local about companies near me.
I deleted the account because I was annoyed by too many emails "Bob Smith wants to be in your network". That on top of fake-recommendations was just too much.
Recently I was searching for some details on PXE booting, and I came across an article I'd written shamelessly copied and pasted with no attribution in their forums.
Reporting this to linkedin.com resulted in no action.
Submitting a formal DCMA-takedown notice to linkedin resulted in no action.
Poking them on twitter, twice, resulted in no action.
So, really, what are linkedin good for? Fake recommendations from people you've never met? Weekly spam about people who want to connect to you?
Update: Rejoined the site to see if I could flag/report it. No chance. Fuckers.
SO this site has now moved to Bytemark's BigV platform, and on the whole it is working properly.
This is a brief list of things that I've spotted:
- IPv6 support has gone away, until I route a /64 to the VLAN that holds these machines.
- The site-search is broken.
- Comment IDs on articles aren't working as expected
- Because of the master-master MySQL setup.
There have been a flurry of spam sign-ups, made possible because I disabled the registration CAPTCHA - these seem harmless since they'll be prevented from submitting comments when they try.
Finally, on the admin-side, I need to implement cluster-wide blacklisting of malicious IPs. I figure I'll use rsync to sync a master-blacklist around, or something similar.