Weblog entry #1 for redbeard
I'm working on setting up a new e-mail server. It will be handling two primary domains, as well as a few domains that will just forward to one or the other of the main domains. I want to use Dovecot to handle the IMAP services for the sites. So I found an interesting bit on the Dovecot wiki for setting up virtual users in multiple domains. I liked the Linuxconf configuration information so I plan to use it, sans Linuxconf. There is a corresponding article on the Exim wiki about setting Exim up for it.
So, why this post? Well, the Dovecot configuration claims to require version 1.0test79 or later. Sarge's version is in the 0.99 range. Version 1.0 Beta 2 is currently in testing. I'd try just installing it but it has dependencies that aren't in Sarge. The biggest one is libc6. I don't want to open that can of worms. So, I've decided to try backporting the Dovecot package. If all else fails, I can always back the package out.
Disclaimer. Before I go any further, please keep in mind that this might not be the "right" way of doing things. It might also melt your computer's processor, or do something else dastardly. I don't really know. But, so far, it works for me.
First thing I did was search Debain Administration for an article that might help. I found Rebuilding Debian packages by Steve. It's old, but has what I need to get started. The only issue is that I am pulling from a different repository. So rather than using the nice apt-get source and apt-get build-dep commands, I manually installed build dependencies (all but one were available in Sarge, thankfully) and downloaded the source package directly.
I had forgotten, though, that libpq-dev wasn't available. So when I ran debuild -us -uc I got an error saying I was missing a dependency. Since I won't be using PostgreSQL, I modified debian/control to remove that dependency (and the libldap2-dev dependency, since I won't be using LDAP, either). Then I edited debian/rules and changed the config.status rule so it runs configure without the --with-pgsql and --with-ldap options. After these two minor tweaks, running debuild was successful.
Since I don't have a custom repository set up yet (it's on the list :), I installed it using dpkg --install. The precise command was:
dpkg --install dovecot-common_1.0.beta2-1.1etch1_i386.deb dovecot-imapd_1.0.beta2-1.1etch1_i386.deb
In the process of running that, I discovered there is a new configuration file format. Ick. Of course, all I had really done originall is enable only IMAPS. So I used the distributed file and then tweaked the configuration to enable IMAPS, like I had originally.
Finally, started Dovecot with /etc/init.d/dovecot start and sent an e-mail to the server. I was then able to successfully read it using an IMAP client. Success!
My next step is to set up the multiple server/virtual user configuration. Once I get that figured out, I'll post again.
Comments on this Entry